Our Elementary program consists of a Lower Elementary group (1st through 3rd year students) and an Upper Elementary group (4th through 6th year students). All Elementary students benefit from sharing a large, combined classroom with access to the entire Elementary curriculum.
The Montessori Elementary program offers individualized instruction, which means that the child may work and be helped on an individual basis. Individualized learning establishes more intimate contact among the child, the teacher, and the work. Montessori individualized instruction deals in the concrete. The program permits a variety of approaches, using at every turn dynamic and colorful manipulatives, which materialize abstract principles. These beautiful concrete materials are used throughout the entire curriculum, including math, reading, grammar, writing, spelling, geography, history, natural and general science.
Educational objectives of the Montessori Elementary Program include:
- Developing a body whose movements are mastered and controlled.
- Developing the fine coordination necessary for writing and manipulation of materials.
- Learning sports that can be enjoyed into adulthood.
- An awareness of one’s own feelings.
- Sensitivity to and consideration for the feelings of others.
- An awareness of one’s effect on others.
- Developing a positive self-image
- The mastery of the necessary tools or skills (such as reading, writing, etc.) in order to be able to pursue knowledge.
- An understanding of how to find information and use various media, including correct use of a computer, printer, and the internet.
- To become a learner who is independent of the adult.
- An understanding of the evolution of life and a person’s relationship with his environment.
- An understanding that all people have the same basic needs and appreciation for the variety of ways in which those needs are met.
- An awareness of the interdependence of humankind and nature, with a responsible feeling toward an ecological whole.
- An awareness of the interdependence of people and nations, with a desire for cooperation and peace.